Iberdrola has concluded an agreement to take 100% ownership of Ailes Marines, the company developing, constructing and operating the Saint-Brieuc offshore windfarm in France
Iberdrola, which already owned 70% of the consortium’s capital, has acquired the remaining 30% from Avel Vor (RES and Caisse des Dépôts), after receiving the green light from the French Ministry of the Economy.
Iberdrola said the transaction “will add momentum” to the project, which is scheduled to begin construction in 2021. The 496-MW windfarm is due to be operational two years later.
Iberdrola global managing director offshore wind Jonathan Cole said, “The Saint-Brieuc project is now ready to get started. All agreements are in place, the funding is secured and contracts are signed. Our detailed industrial plan will also support new factories and highly-skilled clean energy jobs in France. We are hoping the final legal and administrative matters will be concluded quickly, and this major €2.4Bn (US$2.7Bn) investment in a cleaner energy future will be ready to run full speed.”
Located approximately 16 km off the coast of Brittany, the Saint-Brieuc windfarm will use 62 Siemens Gamesa wind turbines, each of 8 MW capacity.