A study by Maersk and Lloyd’s Register says the best opportunities for decarbonising shipping lie in finding new sustainable energy sources – and the best positioned fuels for research and development into net-zero emissions for shipping are alcohol, biomethane and ammonia
Maersk said energy efficiency has been and still is an important tool for CO2 emissions reductions and that its own efficiency measures have positioned Maersk some 10% ahead of the industry average in carbon cuts.
“The main challenge is not at sea but on land,” said Maersk chief operating officer Søren Toft. “Technology changes inside the vessels are minor when compared to the massive innovative solutions and fuel transformation that must be found to produce and distribute sustainable energy sources on a global scale. We need to have a commercially viable carbon neutral vessel in service 11 years from now.”
These three fuel pathways have relatively similar cost projections but different challenges and opportunities. “It is too early to rule anything out completely, but we are confident that these three are the right places to start. Consequently, we will spend 80% of our focus on this working hypothesis and will keep the remaining 20% to look at other options,” pointed out Mr Toft.
“The next decade requires industry collaboration as shipping considers its decarbonisation options and looks closely at the potential of fuels like alcohol, biomethane and ammonia,” said LR chief executive Alastair Marsh. “This joint modelling exercise between Lloyd’s Register and Maersk indicates that shipowners must invest for fuel flexibility and it is also clear that this transition presents more of an operating expenditure rather than capital expenditure challenge.”
LR and Maersk said that alcohols (ethanol and methanol) are not highly toxic liquids, with production pathways directly from biomass and/or via renewable hydrogen combined with carbon from either biomass or carbon capture. Existing solutions for handling the low flash point and for burning alcohols are well proven. Ethanol and methanol are fully mixable in the vessel’s bunker tanks, creating bunkering flexibility.
The statement added “The transition of the industry towards alcohol-based solutions is yet to be defined. Biomethane on the other hand has a potential smooth transition given existing technology and infrastructure. The challenge however is ‘methane slip’ – the emission of unburned methane along the entire supply chain.”
It added “Ammonia is truly carbon free and can be produced from renewable electricity. The energy conversion rate of this system is higher than that of biomaterial-based systems, but the production pathway cannot tap into potential energy sources such as waste biomass. The main challenge for ammonia is that it is highly toxic and even small accidents can create major risks to the crew and the environment. The transition from current to future applications is also a huge challenge for ammonia.”
According to Maersk and Lloyd’s Register, batteries and fuel cells are unlikely to have an immediate role in propelling commercially viable carbon neutral deepsea vessels.
A joint statement added that shipping is responsible for 2-3% of global greenhouse gas emissions, so the industry has significant potential to help create a carbon-neutral economy by 2050. Maersk is determined to play its part by leading the development and scaling of future solutions.