Mooring monitoring system will provide data on the integrity of the anchor legs
The UK-based team of BMT and Sonardyne Inc have been selected to supply a mooring monitoring system for the world’s first ultra-deepwater floating LNG (FLNG) vessel, Coral Sul, under construction at Samsung Heavy Industries’ Geoje shipyard in South Korea.
Coral Sul FLNG will operate in water ranging from 1,500 to 2,300 m producing LNG from gas reserves in the Rovuma basin in the Area 4 block atr Eni’s Coral South project offshore Mozambique. The team of BMT and Sonardyne was chosen by Houston-based SOFEC which is supplying the turret mooring system under an engineering procurement and construction contract with a joint venture between UK-based subsea engineering firm TechnipFMC and Japanese engineering firm JGC Corp.
BMT will supply the stationkeeping turret monitoring system and local control panel with touchscreen interface for the mooring monitoring system. The control panel will also house Sonardyne’s topside equipment. Additionally, the system will allow SOFEC’s client to gain remote data access through BMT’s secure cloud-based portal, BMT Deep.
Sonardyne will use its subsea monitoring, analysis and reporting technology (SMART) to monitor the mooring integrity on each of the 20 anchor legs. Daily summary reports and automatic fault detections will be generated and sent wirelessly in real-time to the surface from the SMARTs.
“Our system will be providing valuable integrity data and important real-time monitoring of the mooring system to enhance operational safety”, said BMT offshore commercial manager Robert Barker.
The Area 4 block’s participants are the Mozambique Rovuma Ventures, 70% of which is controlled by a partnership owned by the ExxonMobil, Eni and the China National Petroleum Corp, with the remaining 30% divided equally between Portuguese group Galp Energia, South Korea’s Kogas and Mozambican state-owned Empresa Nacional de Hidrocarbonetos.