Higas has awarded a contract to Spain’s Reganosa to operate and maintain the first small-scale LNG import terminal in Sardinia, Italy
Being built at the port of Oristano, the Higas terminal includes a jetty capable of receiving LNG vessels up to 20,000 m3, an unloading arm, six horizontal cryogenic holding tanks (1,500 m3 each), two LNG truck loading bays, and a natural gas captive power generation system. The terminal can load in excess of 8,000 LNG trucks each year (some 180,000 tonnes), for subsequent distribution to smaller satellite stations across the island.
Sardinia currently lacks a system of access to natural gas and only a small number of industrial customers receive LNG by truck which is brought to the island by ferry.
The Higas terminal will provide Sardinia with an LNG supply that is clean, affordable and reliable when it opens in H1 2021.
Avenir LNG holds 80% of the equity in the terminal, with the remaining 20% stake split equally between Italian partners Gas & Heat and CPL Concordia.
Reganosa holds contracts to manage three kinds of LNG terminals: the floating LNG import terminal Tema LNG Terminal in Ghana; onshore, those of Mugardos in Spain and Oristano; and mixed, that of Delimara in Malta. These facilities have, moreover, a wide range of storage, ranging from 9,000 to 300,000 m3.
Riviera Maritime Media will provide free technical and operational webinars in 2021. Sign up to attend on our events page