Halogen Systems, Inc. started in 2012 to commercialize its multiparameter sensor technology. From the outset, it sought to eliminate the problems with existing amperometric sensors and develop a robust, alternative sensor platform with applications across many industries. Its sensor is radically different other sensors, hence its name, DPI (Direct Pipe Insertion) Amperometric. This new amperometric sensor was funded, in part, by Small Business Investment Research (SBIR) contracts from the US Office of Naval Research (ONR) (DoD, 2020). Since 2014, this sensor saw constant improvement and enhancement.
The DPI Amperometric is a new alternative to Online DPD Instruments. When used in Ballast Water
Management Systems (BWMS), this alternative eliminates some potential compliance issues. Unique features
• Direct measurement of TRO in ballast pipe for faster response (<45 seconds).
• Robust and accurate operation in muddy ports.
• Accurate operation at 6 times the DOC (Dissolved Organic Carbon) challenge levels that BWMS are
• Flow Independent- Accurate operation while experiencing ballast flow changes.
• Models available for Hazardous and Non-Hazardous, Open Deck, Side Stream, and Ballast Pipe
• The sensor works reliably at 20 times the TSS (Total Suspended Solids) levels, or greater, required by ETV
(1000 ppm) without any filters.
• Integrated salinity measurement eliminates the cost of a discrete salinity sensor.
• Integrated pH sensor can withstand 10 bar and -0.7 bar and is stored dry.