Norwegian environmental and technical consultant Åkerblå Group has acquired control of UK-based marine and environmental survey specialist Ocean Ecology Ltd
The companies aim to capitalise on their combined expertise to provide a joint offering to the Norwegian offshore wind industry and to developers further afield.
Åkerblå Group has acquired 51% of the shares in the Gloucester-based company. The founders and current owners of Ocean Ecology will retain the remaining 49% and continue to develop the company together with Åkerblå.
Åkerblå Group chief executive Roger Sørensen said, “Ocean Ecology is one of the UK’s leading players in marine environmental monitoring for offshore windfarms. Together with Åkerblå Group’s local presence, we will cater to the needs of the emerging Norwegian offshore wind industry and developers further afield.”
Ocean Ecology was established in 2013 and has provided services to a number of leading offshore wind developers, including Ørsted, RWE, SSE and Vattenfall and floating wind pioneers Blue Gem Wind. It has a 20-strong team, consisting primarily of marine biologists.
The company has fully equipped laboratory facilities and headquarters in Gloucester and recently opened an office in Oban in Scotland.
Following the transaction, Mr Sørensen and Åkerblå chief financial officer Frode Westbye will join Ocean Ecology’s board of directors.
Riviera’s Offshore Wind Journal Conference will be held on 25 March 2021 - use this link for more details and to register for this virtual conference